Welcome to the twenty first post in the series “VR Sailors - MarineVerse Community” - introducing sailors racing in MarineVerse Cup.
Today, we are chatting with Peter from Oregon USA.
In virtual reality, you can meet Peter in MarineVerse Cup as Sinbad. In MarineVerse Cup Sinbad is racing in a “Pro Series” and as of today is #45 in the world.
We have asked Peter a couple of questions..
What is your sailing experience?
My sailing experience is 10 years racing, J24, Santana 20, Martin 242 up and down the west coast of USA. I was a dedicated crew spending 8 months a year racing every week.
What is your favourite sailing memory?
One of my favorite moments in racing was on the Columbia River during a long distance race. I was crewing on a Shock 34 and we ran into a sand bar with another boat.
As my crew and captain started debating what to do, I jumped in the water and started pushing the nose across the current. Then I used my command voice and got the rest of the crew in the water and we were able to free her in just a few seconds, to the cheers of the other boat. Afterward my crew and captain were amazed at my jumping off the boat but it worked.
Tell us something about your experience with MarineVerse Cup?
MarineVerse has renewed my love of sailing. From the moment I was on a virtual boat all the memory came flooding back. Very realistic with the sound and feels. Racing boat for boat or jockeying for position at the start brings up all the same emotions as the real world. The best part is that this is open to anyone without the very expensive costs of real world sailing. Put on my head set, sign in and I am on the water in locations around the world. The competition is fierce and beating an upper tier sailor brings the same joy.
Who and why should try MarineVerse Cup
Anyone can learn to sail in this game so do not be afraid to give it a try.
Any tips for those new to sailing that want to race in MarineVerse Cup?
Tips? I use the joysticks for trimming the sails instead of the point and adjust. I find that this allows me to stear and adjust much faster around the mark. Do not be afraid to try new methods or controls and trim trim trim.
MarineVerse Cup is all about the community. If you would like to try sailing join us. You can meet VR sailors at our Discord chat server and you can downland MarineVerse Cup on Steam or via Meta Quest store.
We hope you enjoyed this blog post in “VR Sailors - MarineVerse Community” series - stay tuned for more soon!
- #1 David Wright, Commodore at Hythe Sailing Club in Southampton
- #2 Luke, Dinghy sailor from Germany
- #3 Jon “Bofh” from Glastonbury in the U.K
- #4 Guillermo Iurgi López de Ipiña Silván from Spain
- #5 Ryan (AKA Sailing FreeStyle ) from the USA
- #6 Nelson from Cincinnati, Ohio in the USA
- #7 Mark Afheldt based in Toronto, Canada
- #8 Dennis Fields sailing out of Las Vegas, Nevada
- #9 William Wollin, based in Racine, Wisconsin
- #10 Pascal from Paris, France
- #11 Linda van Kleef, Dutch living in Germany
- #12 Romeo, Marina Del Rey, CA
- #13 Kevin, Port Elizabeth, South Africa
- #14 Rik, Blackpool, England
- #15 Captain Ben, UK
- #16 Dave aka Bot33, UK
- #17 Andrew Brenton, UK
- #18 Pete Hoffswell, US
- #19 Colin aka SwabbinQuincyTeach, US
- #20 Tim from Amsterdam, Netherlands
- #21 Peter from Oregon, USA