Welcome to the first post in the series “VR Sailors - MarineVerse Community” - introducing sailors racing in MarineVerse Cup.
We have asked David a couple of questions..
What is your sailing experience?
My sailing experience is that since 10 years of age I sailed with my parents for three years on a 50 foot home built ferro-cement yacht in Portugal, Spain, Canary Islands (ARC Race for Cruisers) and the Caribbean up to age 13 then dinghies intermittently. 4 years ago I and my wife bought a Westerly Berwick at Hythe Sailing Club (Southampton).
Tell us something about your experience with MarineVerse Cup?
I bought an Oculus Quest and Rift S and held an event at the club for members to have a go at setting a time in the guest race. All that took part enjoyed the experience and we intend to run a series with a trophy for the winner in 2020. We ran three tries and the third set your time which seemed to work very well.
Who and why should try MarineVerse Cup
Marineverse Cup is a great way to develop skills and knowledge and for some fun for groups and clubs. There is a great sense of achievement when you win a race and it takes practice to to actually win with a realistic level of challenge.
I highly recommend this experience for those new to sailing to help with an understanding of racing and sailing in the comfort of your own home or as a way to bring people together to experience Virtual Reality. I also believe that this is a fun experience for those that have sailed for many years.
I look forward to seeing this sailing simulator/game develop in the future.
MarineVerse Cup is all about the community. If you would like to try sailing join us. You can meet VR sailors at our Discord chat server and you can downland MarineVerse Cup on Steam or via SideQuest.
We hope you enjoyed this blog post in “VR Sailors - MarineVerse Community” series - stay tuned for more soon!
- #1 David Wright, Commodore at Hythe Sailing Club in Southampton
- #2 Luke, Dinghy sailor from Germany
- #3 Jon “Bofh” from Glastonbury in the U.K
- #4 Guillermo Iurgi López de Ipiña Silván from Spain
- #5 Ryan (AKA Sailing FreeStyle ) from the USA
- #6 Nelson from Cincinnati, Ohio in the USA
- #7 Mark Afheldt based in Toronto, Canada
- #8 Dennis Fields sailing out of Las Vegas, Nevada
- #9 William Wollin, based in Racine, Wisconsin
- #10 Pascal from Paris, France
- #11 Linda van Kleef, Dutch living in Germany
- #12 Romeo, Marina Del Rey, CA
- #13 Kevin, Port Elizabeth, South Africa
- #14 Rik, Blackpool, England
- #15 Captain Ben, UK
- #16 Dave aka Bot33, UK
- #17 Andrew Brenton, UK
- #18 Pete Hoffswell, US
- #19 Colin aka SwabbinQuincyTeach, US