Welcome to the fifteenth post in the series “VR Sailors - MarineVerse Community” - introducing sailors racing in MarineVerse Cup.
Today, we are chatting with Benjamin Phillips from United Kingdom.
In virtual reality, you can meet Benjamin in MarineVerse Cup as Captain Ben. In MarineVerse Cup Ben is racing in a “Pro Series” and as of today is #17 in the world.
We have asked Ben a couple of questions..
What is your sailing experience?
I am a former Dinghy Instructor, Cruising Instructor, delivery skipper and now a Master 500 Yacht captain.
What is your favourite sailing memory?
Delivering a new Bavaria 37ft sailing yacht from Swansea to Lanzarote in 2006 with tail winds from Hurricane Gordon & Hurricane Hellen in the Bay of Biscay. Being at the bottom of the wave troughs was like being back home in the valleys, and sitting at the top of the waves were giving us vertigo!! Great learning experience!
Tell us something about your experience with MarineVerse Cup?
I found this game by chance on my Oculus quest 2 and its now the only game i play. I love how real it feels and the competitiveness between other skilled sailors.
Who and why should try MarineVerse Cup
MarineVerse Cup is for everyone at every level. Once the rules are implemented into the game it will become a lot for competitive. Understandable time trial/ghost sailing is hard to implement sailing rules but lets see what the future holds..
Any tips for those new to sailing that want to race in MarineVerse Cup?
My crew have also downloaded this game and they follow my lines and try to learn as i im sailing ahead of them. Its a great way to learn and it would still be great if we can have other OQ2 players in the same boat to teach.
MarineVerse Cup is all about the community. If you would like to try sailing join us. You can meet VR sailors at our Discord chat server and you can downland MarineVerse Cup on Steam or via SideQuest.
We hope you enjoyed this blog post in “VR Sailors - MarineVerse Community” series - stay tuned for more soon!
- #1 David Wright, Commodore at Hythe Sailing Club in Southampton
- #2 Luke, Dinghy sailor from Germany
- #3 Jon “Bofh” from Glastonbury in the U.K
- #4 Guillermo Iurgi López de Ipiña Silván from Spain
- #5 Ryan (AKA Sailing FreeStyle ) from the USA
- #6 Nelson from Cincinnati, Ohio in the USA
- #7 Mark Afheldt based in Toronto, Canada
- #8 Dennis Fields sailing out of Las Vegas, Nevada
- #9 William Wollin, based in Racine, Wisconsin
- #10 Pascal from Paris, France
- #11 Linda van Kleef, Dutch living in Germany
- #12 Romeo, Marina Del Rey, CA
- #13 Kevin, Port Elizabeth, South Africa
- #14 Rik, Blackpool, England
- #15 Captain Ben, UK
- #16 Dave aka Bot33, UK
- #17 Andrew Brenton, UK
- #18 Pete Hoffswell, US
- #19 Colin aka SwabbinQuincyTeach, US